Two “fuming” families told their Christmas decorations might have to come down after a complaint from neighbours.
The complaint was lodged against their festive Christmas lights because they were at risk of being against health and safety regulations.
Leanne Beaver, from Plymouth, Devon, received a phone call on Tuesday December 8, telling her she may need to remove her Christmas lights that covered her house.
Then, her next-door neighbour Claire Harrison, a mum-of-five, was similarly told she may have to remove her decorations as well.
Both families were left “fuming” that the complaint had been lodged against them and Ms Beaver, a mum-of-seven, said her children were “absolutely gutted” by the request.
Happily the housing association decided the lights were safe and could stay in place after an inspection.
She said: “Apparently there’s too much on our house and there’s been a complaint put in against us which is against health and safety regulations.
“They said we’ll have to remove them.”
But Ms Beaver didn’t see a problem with the lights, or any reason why they should be removed.
“‘Our housing officer has contacted us today saying she doesn’t know anything about it.
“She has been brilliant about it. She can’t see the problem with it.
“She said there’s nothing wrong with our lights and she likes them, so she’s a bit baffled. So she’s coming out with a health and safety inspector.”
Ms Beaver said the lights had become something of a local attraction, bringing in children from all over Plymouth.
On Friday and Saturday evening, they set up a snow machine and Ms Beaver and her husband dress up as an inflatable Santa and elf to make it enjoyable for the children after a tough year.
However, housing association LiveWest, have since responded to the families and carried out checks, confirming the decorations were in fact “safe and secure” and can stay up.
James Reseigh, director of neighbourhoods for LiveWest, said: ‘The festive period is a time to celebrate and after a challenging year for everybody, we want all of our customers to have a happy and safe Christmas.
“Christmas decorations bring a bit of festive cheer to everybody and it is lovely to see our customers taking so much pride in the appearance of their homes in Sherford.
“We had some enquiries from residents in Sherford about electrical wiring for some of the decorations at two properties and we wanted to make sure that these decorations were in the best interests of customer safety and welfare.
“Our team met with residents and we are really pleased that the decorations are all safe and secure.”